Friday, August 18, 2006

Giving praise...

I have a new friend.

He's this slim Muslim guy in his late 50s or 60s. Short and willowly, he is usually dressed in traditional Indian robes. And he turns up every day at the garbage bin outside the MRT station around 9am without fail.

Even though the contents of the local newspaper is oft-believed to belong at the bottom of a dumpster, I'm a firm believer in the value of recycling and have made a point of leaving it right next to the bin when I arrive at my stop after my daily commute. Somehow my new friend had figured out my routines and has since grown accustomed to my gifts for the day.

Lately, I've been tardy and enjoyed a brief period of absence from the Singapore public transport system(bad business trips and Bangkok Bellies.. long story). Had wondered what will my friend do when the newspaper isn't around. Would he have missed the Israel/Lebanon surrender (depending on which side you're on)? Did he think that Pluto should rightfully take its place as a planet in our solar system? What are his views on the opening of a second law school in Singapore and the impact of a lowered standard in the admission of foreign law students?

These were the thoughts on my mind as I caught the 8:23am train from Yishun to Boon Lay on my way to work today. Has he given up on the print press? Moved on to new media like blogs and Ananova?

And there he was. Old Faithful. His wizen face had lighted up at my sight and gave praise..

As I handed him the roll of newspapers, he beamed from ear to ear, perhaps happy that he has yet again been given some thoughts for the day.

I smiled and walked on. The journey seemed lighter some how.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home