Sunday, September 10, 2006

Brunch in the 30s...

Woke up a changed man and decided that the first meal of my next decade of life should be in the style of sheer decadence. And I couldn't think of a better place to usher in a new era than enjoying a bottle of Veuve NV with some good friends at Kuppa.

The cafe is in an old spice warehouse off a small street in Sukhumvit and was also rumoured to be a CIA safehouse in the 60s. Not that I was around then, mind you. We didn't see any North Koreans in the joint, just the usual mix of stylishly dressed people in the know.



The first dish I had on my 30th year was a cheese souffle served with sweet onion jam and rocket. The souffle was set just right and topped with a earthly and buttery crust of Gruyère and Emmenthal. Caramelised slices of onion on crunchy toast were perfect for scooping up every last drop of egg. Delicious.



Next was crispy duck and wild mushroom risotto. The duck was a little dry but the luxurious mushroom and truffle oil compensated with its intoxicating bouquet along with the crunchy arborio.

Bearing in mind the reduced metabolism rates that comes with the big 3-0, I had to mournfully pass on the pavlova with blueberries and wild forest fruit compote. Was also compelled by some strange internal voice (conscience? sobriety? common sense?) to decline a second bottle of Veuve (what was I thinking?).

Service was excellent and attentive. Kuppa is the perfect place if you are in the mood for a lazy afternoon or starting your day with that cup of French pressed Columbian.

Kuppa
39 Sukhumvit Soi 16,
Bangkok, Thailand
Phone: 02-663-0450

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home