Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Taipei

Ok I take it back. Taiwan is NOT a country full of rude, brash Hokkien thugs. Here's why I will be heading back to Taipei very very soon. On one of those direct 80 minute flights from the domestic airport in Shanghai to the domestic airport right in the middle of Taipei.

1. The stolen treasures - the Nationalists escaped with the best of China before the peasants smashed it all up. I am referring to good manners and the priceless historical artifacts of course. The latter is kept in this gorgeous palace up in the mountains. Am very impressed with the antiquities on display - especially the piece of jade that looks/feels/smells like roast pork.



2. The shopping. Simply amazing. Everything from the trendiest Japaneseque fashion to good quality affordable antiques. Sales staff are actually friendly. And best of all, no Chinese drama about bargaining.



3. The people. These are some nice Chinese-speaking people. Friendly, polite and mindful of others. No rushing to get on trains. No spitting on your shoes. No pushing and shoving to stand out of the herds.



4. The dogs. They love their furkids here. And not just hot dogs. Pity about the fashion sense.



5. The food. Yummy street (junk) food. And cheap beer. I'm simple that way.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh i am so jalouis, my old "hometown" where i lived 2 years long. Don“t miss New Park, near the Chai Kai Chek Memorial after 8.00PM :)))))).
Have fun

1:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

New Park....? Well, haven't been there for some years, but on that occasion it was VERY busy... late at night.
As for Taipei in general, I love it, and was back there in Feb, 2008 again, to visit a long-time friend (who incidentally will be visiting ME in Melbourne in a weeks time...), and I LOVE the shopping, and te visit to the Red House restaurant (I think that was the name,..) at the end of the northen train line up beside the river. Beautiful view in the late afternoon into twlight. Hope to get back there again next year sometime... via one of my MANY trips back to Hong Kong. ;-)

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home