Friday, October 06, 2006

中秋节快乐 ! (Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!)



Yet another festival upon us. Its the night of the Full Moon party.



It feels right to share this poem that has since been adapted into one of my favourite songs by Theresa Tang and then Faye Wong. It was said that in the good old days, poets are expected during a break from their mooncakes and tea to take five paces and come up with a perfectly written passage, extolling the virtues of the moon. Sorta like a prose for peanuts routine.. and great way to wow the audience.

Am afraid my translation below does not do the Chinese verse any justice.

(水调歌头 - 苏轼)

明月几时有,
把酒问青天。
不知天上宫阙,
今夕是何年。

我欲乘风归去,
又恐琼楼玉宇,
高处不胜寒,
起舞弄清影,
何似在人间。

转朱阁,
低绮户,
照无眠。
不应有恨,
何事长向别时圆。

人有悲欢离合,
月有阴晴圆缺,
此事古难全。
但愿人长久,
千里共婵娟。

When will the moon be clear and bright?
With a cup of wine in my hand, I ask the sky.
Not knowing what season it would be,
in the heavens on a night like this.

I wish I can ride the wind home.
Yet I fear the cold emptiness,
Of crystal and jade mansions in the skies.
Dancing alone with my moon-lit shadow,
Am I still alive in this world?

As the moonlight rains down the red mansion,
Stoops through padlocked doors,
No comfort on the sleepless,
Bearing no grudges,
Why does the moon tend to be full when we are apart?

Life may be full of sorrow or joy, separations and new beginnings,
And the moon may wax or wane in darkness and in light,
A story told since the beginning of time,
Across the miles, our hearts with the moon join as one.

(from a poem written during the night of the Mid-Autumn Festival of 1076 by Su Tung Po)


Wherever you may be, you only have to look up to see the same moon to know that I will be there with you. May your Mid-Autumn Festival weekend be full of light and happiness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home